The Duchy of Cornwall estate is delighted to announce that contracts have been exchanged on the purchase of the southern portion of the Port Eliot estate in Cornwall. This is the most substantial purchase of farmland in Cornwall made by The Duchy of Cornwall since His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales became Duke of Cornwall in 1952.
It comprises 1,800 acres of land which stretch from the village of Polbathic in the North, to the cliffs of Whitesand Bay in the South. The estate is well-situated in relation to other Duchy property as nearby Duchy manors include Bonyalva (1 mile north west), Treveria (2 miles west), Duloe (5 miles west), Trematon (4 miles east), Landulph (5 miles north east), Leigh Durant (4 miles north east) and Stoke Climsland (9 miles north).
The purchase, which has been welcomed by the Earl of St Germans, the current owner, does not include the northern Port Eliot estate or the family home.
This significant acquisition retains an important land holding intact, builds on existing Duchy holdings and enables the Duchy estate to further support farming in the South West.
Thirteen cadets from 730 (City of Truro) Squadron planted 50 trees in local Duchy woodland.Read more
Archaeologists digging on the site of 'The Hurlers' stone circles have discovered a new monument which may have marked the head of a processional avenue.Read more